What is mentoring?
to help and give advice to someone who has less experience than you, especially in your job
Definition of mentoring from the Cambridge dictionary
What is a mentor?
- A professional person who is a wise, experienced, knowledgeable individual who
either demands or gently coaxes the most out of the mentee (Caruso, 1992)
- Someone who supports people to manage their own learning in order to maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance, and become the person they want to be (Parsloe, 1992)
- Mentors are people who, through their action and work, help others to achieve their
potential (Shea, 1992)
- An experienced, objective sounding-board with the power to influence events
An Academy mentor...
- Listen and give their time
- Support, encourage and challenge
- Provide a framework to look at options, to understand implications and to plan future action
- Share experiences where relevant
- Signpost, if asked, to information and resources - including people/networks